Fancy dress parties are very popular in London and amongst the many bizarre themed parties that people throw, one of the most common is the ‘Tube Station’ theme, where you’re expected to come dressed as any of the tube stations on the London Underground map. The great thing about this theme is that there are so many stations that there’s plenty of room for inspiration. However, if you’re lacking in the creativity department, then use the list below to help you throw an outfit together. Some of these require next-to-no-effort, others might require a little forward planning and a trip to London’s most famous fancy dress shop – Angels , who also offer mail order delivery with express options for those in a real hurry!
The most obvious tube stations
You will definitely see the following at any tube station costume party:
1. Angel – real girly girls love wearing a halo and some wings. Check out this Angel costume for an idea.
2. Cockfosters – various versions of an empty can of Fosters beer, hanging out of a zipper.
3. Wimbledon – simply come armed with a racket.
4. Maida Vale – attach a bride’s wedding veil to your head and you’ve ‘made a veil’ – geddit?
5. High Barnet – think Patsy from Ab Fab. Pile your hair high, invest in some maximum strength hairspray and push all thoughts about the environment to the back of your mind for the evening.
6. Grange Hill – dress up in school uniform and look like someone from kid’s TV show ‘Grange Hill’.
For football fans
For loyal football fans, simply come in the kit of your favourite club:
8. Tottenham Hale
9. West Ham
10. Liverpool Street
11. Barbican (Barbie and Ken)….. persuading your boyfriend to dress up as Ken might be difficult, unless he’s a real poser!
12. Elephant and Castle – you’ll have to decide between the two of you, which one is the elephant and which one is the castle. Some cardboard cut to the shape of the top of a turret should be fairly quick and easy to make.
Quick and Easy Costumes
13. Hatton Cross – wear any hat and a cross around your neck.
14. Tooting (Bec or Broadway) – get a whistle and blow it a lot- this works particularly well if your name’s Rebecca (Bec!).
15. Hanger Lane – get creative with some clothes hangers.
16. Bow Road – wear a big bow, either in hair, around your neck or on a dress.
17. Oval – cut out a large oval-shaped piece of cardboard and attach it to your costume. Alternatively you could come dressed in cricket whites.
18. Bond Street – be shaken, not stirred and come as James Bond. 1 x suit and 1 x dickie bow and you’re sorted!
19. Chigwell – for those of you who remember the 90s sitcom ‘Birds of a Feather’, you could dress up as Dorian Green. Put on your highest heels, get your cleavage out and put on some very long nails.
20. Notting Hill – no we’re not thinking Hugh Grant…. why not be the far more amusing character of Spike, played by Rhys Ifans. Remember how Spike answers the door to the paparazzi dressed only in his undies?
21. Paddington – you’re going to need marmalade, wellington boots, a suitcase, duffle coat and a waterproof hat.
22. Barking – try and buy a Scooby Doo costume and be one of the world’s most famous dogs. Alternatively, you could just go round woofing at everyone all night.
23. King’s Cross – buy an Elvis (the King) costume and make sure you have a large cross around your neck.
Slightly more difficult costumes
25. Shepherd’s Bush – you’ll need a cuddly or blow-up (!) sheep and lots of twigs and greenery attached to your hair and clothes. We’re sure there’s a ruder variation of this you could come up with too, if you set your mind to it.
26. Leicester Square – you could come as a giant SQUARE piece of (Red) Leicester cheese. We don’t actually recommend that you add edible food to the costume, cheese isn’t the most attractive smell.
27. Swiss Cottage – dress in the stereotypical Swiss costume. Girls may want to plait their hair and wear a short checked dress or skirt, whilst men may opt for the lederhosen look.
28. Blackfriars – you’ll need to dress like a monk , complete with bowl hair-cut, friar’s habit and large cross around your neck.