The National Insurance Number is the number used by the government to track your taxes and national insurance contributions. Everyone who wants to work in the UK needs one and you must be in the UK before the government will issue your number. If you do not have your NI number you will be paying emergency tax.
There are 2 ways to apply for your NI number:
1. 1st Contact offers an Easy NINO service where they can assist you with your entire NI number application. For a small fee of £30 they remove all the hassle, make the calls, do some paperwork for you and guarantee your NI number within 2-4 weeks. 1st Contact will also provide you with a letter of employment if you haven’t started working yet. (1st Contact Kickstart clients receive the Easy NINO service at a discounted fee of £17.50)
1. Complete the online questionnaire
2. Sign the postal application form OR attend the Evidence of Identity Interview that 1st Contact will arrange for you
3. Receive your NI Number in 2-4 weeks (often sooner!)
2. You can apply for an NI number at your JobCentre Plus on +44 (0) 845 600 0643. Depending on your passport and visa details; you will either need to arrange an interview, or have the application posted to you. Please bear in mind that interviews can take up to six weeks to book, and a further four weeks for you to be allocated a permanent NI number. The JobCentre can be unreliable at times so occasionally they fail to post you your application or NI number.
You will need to provide the following documents to apply for your NI number:
1. Proof of identity, which can be your passport you are legally entitled to work in the UK with.
2. Proof of employment or recruitment agency that you are actively seeking work.
3. Proof of residence, which can be a utility bill or UK bank statement.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.